Saturday, November 1, 2008

Foz Do Iguazu (Iguassu Falls)

It has been a while since I updated my blog and I have done so much in the last 10 days! It was raining when I landed in Foz do Iguazu so I taxied straight to my hostal ($18 for a 5 min ride!!!!!!!! little did i know there was a $1.50 bus there grrrrrrrrr) and settled in for the rainy night. When I arrived the place was deserted and I thought that I would never meet anyone.....of course everyone that was staying there was out at the Falls for the day and they all trudged in totally soaked that evening. I was in a dorm with two really friendly Irish sisters which helped with my feelings of being totally alone! The hostal is great and is situated in farmland in the middle of nowhere making it a really peaceful and relaxing place. That night myself and the Irish girls met a few other backpackers and a group of 5 of us organised to go to the Argentinian side of the falls the next day. We arranged a taxi from our hostal which was much easier because the driver took care of all the border exit and entry stamps for us both ways and waited for us the whole day at the Falls. What an absolute hoot the driver was......an argentinian guy who cracked jokes the whole way in whatever language he was speaking - couldnt understand a word ha ha - i think it was a cross between portuguese/spanish and english. He told the guys we were with that his name is Dracula and he told us girls his name is Antonio Banderas! Total crack up! We found out that he has 18 children to 9 wives!!!!!!!!!!!!!! His latest wife is 25 apparently lol. He looks about mid 60s i guess!

Wow wow wow the Iguazu Falls are incredible!!!! We took a boat ride which went right up to the falls - everyone was screaming and hooting and we got totally saturated. Great fun and it meant we stayed cool because it was a stinking hot day! The best and biggest part of the falls is called the Devil´s Throat in english. Masses of water - its just incredible!!

The following day I went to the Brazilian side of the falls. Its also incredible but in a different way. The Argentinian side gives you the close up view whereas the Brazilian side gives you the overview of the whole Falls.

I met a guy from Malaysia (you are famous now Avi ha ha) who was at the hostal and he decided to jump on the overnite bus with me to Campo Grande for the excursion into the Pantanal Wetlands..........overnite bus rides leave much to be desired.............I froze the whole way...........

I have tried to put photos up but for some reason the hostal I am in now wont recognize my camera! Soon soon i hope!

No comments: